Running Water for the Living Water
Together we can make a difference!
For the 4th year in a row, we are excited to be participating in the 2019 Harrisburg Marathon on November 10th to raise money for water wells in India and other parts of the world. Many people around the world are in desperate need of clean running water. It is our desire to use this run to raise funds toward a water well, as well as show God’s love and care for His people.
We challenge each runner to set a goal to raise $100 for every mile they run. In this case, every marathon team (up to 4 runners totaling 26.2 miles) will fund 1 fully installed, ready-to-use clean water tube well for an entire village.
There are 4 different distances that a runner can choose to run.
Leg 1 – 8.1 miles | Leg 2 – 5.3 miles | Leg 3 – 7.9 miles | Leg 4 – 4.9 miles
RUNNER & RACE INFORMATION
On average, every 5 dollars given can provide 1 person clean water for a lifetime. All businesses and individuals financially supporting our efforts will receive pictures of the water well and village impacted, as well as the GPS coordinates of the location of the well. All donations are tax-deductable.
Thank you for helping us make a difference!
How To Register
You can register online, or send your registration in to the YMCA by mail.
- To register, you must know the names/ages of all members on your relay team.
- Use the Running Water discount code found below or under "cost" details.
Online Registration: Click Here
Mail Registration: Please print registration forms from the Harrisburg YMCA webpage and mail registration, waivers, and fees in.
Please print registration forms (see above) and mail forms/fees to the following address:
|Attn: Tom Gifford|
|East Shore YMCA|
|701 N. Front St,|
|Harrisburg PA 17101|
To get the discount rate on mailed registration, “Team Running Water” must be written at the top of the registration paper along with the appropriate coupon code shown below. (PLEASE NOTE: THE SPECIAL PRICING IS ONLY GOOD THROUGH OCTOBER 10, 2019)
Make all checks payable to East Shore YMCA, Attn: Tom Gifford.
Use the following Coupon Codes to receive special pricing:
- TRW2019IND - $70 Individual Runner
- TRW2019RELAY - $200 Relay Team
Runners and Walkers
- Marathon price if registered by OCT 10th - $70, Online registration code – TRW2019IND
- Relay team price if registered by Oct 10th - $200, Online registration Code – TRW2019RELAY
*Prices increase exponentially if you do not register by October 10th. After October 10th, relay team prices jump from $200 to $280.
Mailed Registration - To by-pass the online registration fees, individuals/teams can mail in race registration, waiver form(s), and payment to the Harrisburg YMCA. To get the discount rate on mailed registration, “Team Running Water” must be written at the top of the registration paper along with the appropriate coupon code shown above. Make all checks payable to East Shore YMCA, Attn: Tom Gifford.
The official RUNNING WATER RACEDAY Shirts are $20. (Optional) ... We will be contacting all the team captains to get order information by mid-October.
Depending on the number of miles you are running, we encourage/challenge you to set a goal of raising $100 per mile. That should be your aim. We encourage the team captain to attempt to raise the most even if they are not running the longest leg.
Friends, family, and church members that are not participating in race are welcome to fundraise as well.
We have partnered with Flipcause to create our fundraising pages. Please click the “Start or Join a Fundraising Page” button below to get started. You may do the following with your Flipcause page. You don’t have to decide this while signing up, it can be changed later:
- Create a new team – After you create a new team you can then add yourself as a runner on that team. You can be the team captain or assign another team member as the team captain, or decide those details later. We suggest using the running water for the living water logo as your team page logo.
- Create a runner page – you can join an existing team, create a new team (see above), or not join a team at all. You should definitely add a picture.
- Create a team goal – you can do this when creating your team. Or save the goal for later after discussing with your team. Your team goal should be at least $2600 but can be higher if you want to push yourself further.
- Create a runner goal – we recommend your goal match the number of miles you will personally run, (run 5 miles = $500 goal) but you can make it whatever you want.
If you have any questions about Flipcause, email Matt Riggins at email@example.com.
Other Fundraising Ideas:
- “Sponsor a mile” letter/Donations
- Business Sponsorship Letter
- Pretzel sandwiches
- Luncheon or Breakfast
- Flamingo a Yard
- Car wash
Relay Information (Teams of 4 people)
All Relay Racers should arrive 30 minutes prior to start at their exchange point.
Leg 1 – 8.1 miles
Leg 2 – 5.3 miles
Leg 3 – 7.9 miles
Leg 4 – 4.9 miles
First Relay Exchange: Upper level Greenbelt Path about 300 yards south of the Market St Bridge, under the railroad bridge, across Front Street from the Harrisburg Hospital.
Second and Third relay exchanges: PA Dental Association, which is located at 3501 N Front St, Harrisburg, PA 17110.
Teams of 2 and 3 are welcome but will not be eligible for awards.
The minimum age for a participant in the Harrisburg Marathon is 15 years old for full marathon participants and 13 for relay participants.
Waivers are required for runners under 18. Under 18 Waiver
Arrival & Start Time
All participants should arrive 30 minutes prior to start.
Walkers: 6:30 AM, City Island
Runners & Relay: 8:00 AM, City Island
Pre Race Rally & YMCA Packet Pickup
A pre-race rally will be held on the afternoon (time: 5 pm) of November 9th, 2019. Here, Runners and Relay Team members can pick-up YMCA race-day packets (including race bib, shirt, & extras), as well as official ‘Running Water for the Living Water’ Race-day shirts. Tables will be designated for both pick-ups. The pre-race rally will also include race-day information, testimonies, and much celebration. The GRAND TOTAL of funds raised will be announced. Be expecting great things from our MIGHTY GOD, both financially and spiritually.
Rally Location: New Life Church 530 Big Spring Rd New Cumberland, PA 17070
If Runners and Relay Teams would prefer to get their YMCA materials at the designated YMCA pick-up, this is possible as well. YMCA pick-up times are listed below. The YMCA states that Walkers must pick up their packets prior to Race Day. You may also pick up a packet for a friend/team member at the YMCA packet pick-up.
Friday, November 8th – 5-7:30pm, TBD
Saturday, November 9th – 11am to 4pm, TBD
Sunday, November 10th – Carousel Pavilion on City Island, 6am to 7:30am
Route & Race Info
RACE ROUTE AND AID STATIONS
- Restrooms will be located at the start and finish areas, and along the course.
- Water stations are located approximately every 2 1/2 miles.
Volunteers will be released from their stations based on a 13 minute pace and the finish line will close at 2:00PM. We cannot guarantee that you will find water or food after the course is closed. If you do not think you can complete the course by 2:00, please ask a water station volunteer to arrange for an assistance vehicle.
Parking & Transportation
No shuttle services are provided. The walk to City Island is approximately 1/2 mile from the Hilton Hotel, the host hotel for the 2015 race. All lanes from the East Shore (Downtown Harrisburg) to City Island on the Market Street Bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic for the start of the race, approximately 7:30AM to 8:20AM.
The most convenient place to park is on City Island. This is where the race begins. The finish is at the intersection of 2nd St/Locust St, which is about a 1/2 mile walk back to City Island across the Walnut St walking bridge.
Current 2019 Church Partners
2019 Goal: 50 Churches
- New Life Church – New Cumberland, PA
- Faith Community Church of the West Shore - New Cumberland, PA
- West Shore E Free Church – Mechanicsburg, PA
- Rainbow Forest Baptist Church - Blue Ridge, VA
- Calvary Bible Church - Wrightsville, PA
- Grace Baptist Church - Lewisberry, PA
- Heritage Baptist Church - Lynchburg, VA
- Liberty Church - Brooklyn, NY
- Baughman United Methodist Church - New Cumberland, PA
- Grace Collective Church - Rock Hill, SC
- Bible Baptist Church - Shiremanstown, PA
- Hanover First Church of God - Hanover, PA
- Grace Downtown - Winchester, VA
- Gospel Community Church - Lynchburg, VA
- Rescue Community Church - Harrisburg, PA
- Neighborhood Church - Overland Park, KS
- Church of the Open Door - East York, PA
- Fincastle Presbyterian Church - Fincastle, VA
- Riverland Road Baptist Church - Roanoke, VA
- LCBC West Shore - Mechanicsburg, PA
- Lynchburg First Church of the Nazerene - Lynchburg, VA
- Carlisle E Free Church - Carlisle, PA
- Mechanicsburg Community Church - Mechancisburg, PA
- Grace Lutheran Church - Greenwood Lake, NY
- Grace Community Church - Washingtonville, NY
- McClain Bible Church - Alexandria, VA
- Highlands Baptist Church - Highlands Ranch, CO
- Celebration Community Church - Dillsburg, PA
- First United Methodist Church - Ephrata, PA
- New Life in Christ Church - Fredricksburg, VA
- Church of the Open Door - York, PA
- Orrtanna United Methodist Church - Orrtanna, PA
- Our Lady of the Mountains - Cumberland, MD
- Grace United Methodist Church - Lemoyne, PA
- Yocumtown Church of God - Yocumtown, PA
- Victory Church - Lancaster, PA
- Grace Baptist Church - Carlisle, PA
- Hinkletown Mennonite Church - Ephrata, PA
- YOUR CHURCH! : )
- Volunteers will staff a drink station at the event to hand out water to participants
- Encourage participants
- Potential volunteers for music at water station