RUNNING WATER FOR THE LIVING WATER began in 2016. 14 runners were touched by the water crisis in rural India. Propelled by God's love, they ran in the Harrisburg Marathon to raise money for fresh water wells.
In 2020, our team was able to participate in the socially distanced Harrisburg Marathon and relay to raise over $65,000. In 5 years, our team has raised over $360,000, bringing clean water to thousands in both India & Uganda.
This year, we are excited to add a brand new opportunity to join our team in Lynchburg VA for the historic Virginia 10 Miler.
JOINING OUR TEAM IS SIMPLE.
1. CHOOSE A RACE
Click a box to see race specific details such as sign up links, raceday schedules etc.
2. START A FUNDRAISING PAGE
Create your own fundraising page on a platform called flipcause. Friends and family can give directly to the cause, and you can easily track goal progress.
We challenge you to set a goal such as $500, raising $100 for every mile run, or going BIG to fund a well for $2500*. You can use a team name if you plan to raise funds as a group.
*Wells vary slightly in actual cost, but the average is $2500 to $2600. We encourage marathon teams to raise $2600, which comes out to $100 per mile.
There are endless ways to raise support for a good cause, but we have a few ideas to get you started.
- Use your Skills: Do you have a skill set you could leverage to bring hope? Lawn care or yard work, music lessons, hair or makeup services, childcare and handmade products can all be offered for donations.
- Sponsorship: Do you know a business or resturaunt owner who may be interested in supporting your cause with a sponsorship package? See more details in the Sponsorship section of this page.
- Giving Up to Give Back: Is there something you could give up for a few weeks (Coffee run, ordering takeout, a subscription service, etc) to contribute to your cause?
- Special Occasions: On your birthday, anniversary, or Christmas, ask family and friends for donations instead of gifts
- Friendly Competition: Start an office, family or Vacation Bible School penny war to see which team can gather the most change.
- Dare for a Cause: Adventurous types may enjoy a "Dare" style campaign, such as promising to shave your beard, get a pie in the face or record yourself lip-syncing a song if supporters help you reach your donation goal.
Download Printable Flyers
3. SEE THE IMPACT
Joining the movement is simple: choose a race and start raising funds. But race day isn't the end- you get to see the impact your team makes in India or Uganda! Wells are typically dedicated 2-3 months after the race. If you raise enough for a whole well ($2500), we'll send you (or your team) a personalized video* of the dedication, plus pictures, GPS coordinates and various details from the village your well was installed in.
We work with partners on the ground in India (and more recently, Uganda), to find villages and areas most in need of a clean water source. See the video at the top of the page for an example of one of our well dedication celebrations.
*If you raise funds for a partial well, you will still receive village details and a video, but the video will also thank the other runners whose funds were pooled together with yours.
Businesses and individuals who financially support our efforts at any level will receive pictures and GPS coordinates of the well contributed to.
- In 2019, we had 200 runners and made various media appearances in Central PA. Our shirts then continue to be worn by our runners - we see them all over the place
- We utilize a Facebook group page with over 200 engaged members
- We had over 600 individual supporters and many more who visit our donation pages
- Nearly 2000 hits on our informational webpage in 2019 where we mention all of our sponsors
Donating the following amounts designates you as an official sponsor, whether you give to a specific runner or to the overall campaign goal. Donors may choose to be anonymous (Not featured on the t shirt/website).
Business or individual’s name will appear on t shirt worn by group members on race day
Name OR logo on t shirt, AND Sponsor name and logo on our race website
All of the above AND a framed picture of well dedication ceremony
All of the above, 2 complimentary race shirts, AND Sponsor/business name to appear on a banner at the well site. You will also receive a shareable link to a personalized video of YOUR well being dedicated with special thanks to you or your business name. The banner will be presented to sponsor as a gift after returning to the US.
Would you consider sponsoring Running Water for the Living Water at a personal or corporate level? You can join as a general sponsor, or designate your donation to a specific runner or fundraising team. Only 5% of the funds received will go towards administrative or other costs- 95% of your donation will go directly to well installation!
To view diamond, gold, silver, and bronze opportunities, click to expand the menu. Donors of $250 or more can choose to be featured on the back of the team t shirt or remain anonymous. Feel free to reach out to email@example.com with any questions.